Sunday, March 22, 2009

Market Fun...

Well, it seems that some people actually are interested in this, so it looks like I have created a demon and the beast must fed (and I actually enjoy the attention and the chance to express my thoughts in written form. Look out Hemingway...)

Anyhoo, here is part of an email I sent to a buddy about my take on buying things at the market here:


Witty, witty. What I really want to find here is white guy town. Then I will fit in and not be charged the god damn tourist rate for everything...

Me: How much?
Chinese vendor: Normally I sell for 10,000RMB. I like you, you have good smile, I give good deal, only 8000RMB.
Me: What?!?! Its only an apple. I'll give you $1000RMB.
Chinese vendor: No,no. I make no money, I starve. 5000RMB.
Me: Nah, I'll just keeping looking.
Chinese Vendor: Okay, okay. You hard negotiator. I like you. I give one time price of 2500RMB.
Me: Mmmm, Nah.
Vendor (still chinese): Okay, okay, I make no money. My kid go hungry, but you good and I like you so I give you 1500RMB.
Me: Okay (thinking I struck myself a hell of a deal) and reluctantly pulling out the cash to fork over, which is quickly snatched by the vendor (yes he is still Chinese) who looks crest fallen, but is doing mental gymnastics over how big a sucker I am.

Same scenario, but for a local:
Chinese Guy: how much? (exact same apple)
Same chinese vendor: 5RMB.
Chinese guy: Eat sh*t and quit ripping me off.
Chinese vendor: Okay, okay, only 1RMB for you.

All in all, it's quite the experience. As long as your in the mood for it (ie: be pulled at, hugged, lied to, cursed at and generally accosted), you really can get some good deals. So far I've picked up 4 pairs of sneakers (DC, Adidas and Puma's) for $5 a pair, got seasons 1&2 of Heroes and 30 Rock and 2 movies for a total of $25. T shirts run about $2.

So, if you're interested in me picking up some thing for you I will walk down to the fashion market (10 minutes from my pad) and if I find it, I'll pick one up and send it to you. Special price, because I like you. You have good smile....


Random thought of the day:
Currently 675,000 cell phones are retired in Beijing per year (random fact from TV). In the 3 years that I am here (I hope, today anways), there will be enough "retired" phones here to give 2.02 phones to each Calgarian.

2 comments:

  1. Rob,

    Remember when we started up "Rutabaga" the underground newspaper? Your epic writing continues!

    Colin
    www.schemeaday.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure do. I still get a kick out of our idea for the centerfold. KURTS DEAD, get over it. I also remember our idea of including condoms with it and then going to hand them out at Catholic schools. We were soooo subversive.

    ReplyDelete